If you’re looking to obtain continuing education credits, meet local peers, or catch up on the status of pharmacy legislation that’s circulating the hallways of Trenton, the Events Calendar (below) is a great place to start.
The Calendar lists all the activities scheduled throughout the Association, including education programs, local meetings, and networking events. Come to an Association event—you’ll be glad that you did.
Bring the event to you – home study
If your schedule has you too busy to attend a program, why not bring the program to you?
In addition to what you see in the calendar below, NJPhA also povides an ever-expanding variety of programs available as online home studies.
- This event has passed.
Live Virtual CE: Oversight of Opioid Use in Hospice/Palliative Care
March 14 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Date of Activity: Tuesday, March 14, 2023
UAN: 0136-0000-23-004-L08-P 0136-0000-23-004-L08-T
Audience: Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technicians
Faculty: Linda Gooen, PharmD, MS, BCGP, CCP
Drug overdose deaths involving prescription opioids rose from 3,442 in 1999 to 17,029 in 2017. From 2017 to 2019, the number of deaths declined to 14,139, followed by an increase to 16,416 in 2020. Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians are able to provide oversight of patient opioid use and are able to work with other healthcare providers to prevent medication diversion and misuse.
At the completion of this activity, the pharmacist will be able to:
- Describe the current concerns about the opioid epidemic
- Identify which State and Federal regulations and guidelines pertain to opioid use for the hospice patient
- Discuss commonly prescribed opioid medications prescribed for hospice/palliative care patients
- Explain possible alternatives to opioid medications
- Implement processes for preventing medication diversion & misuse in hospice care
At the completion of this activity, the pharmacy technician will be able to:
- Identify current concerns about the opioid epidemic
- List State and Federal regulations and guidelines pertain to opioid use for the hospice patient
- List commonly prescribed opioid medications prescribed for hospice/palliative care patients